As one of the first provider in our industry, we operate our learning platforms and live streaming events (e.g. live online seminars and webinars) since 2018 completely carbon neutral!
For this purpose, we calculate the emission of carbon dioxide generated by our video productions and the operation of our IT infrastructure and compensate this amount completely.
This way, we make an active contribution to climate protection and create the conditions for further, environmentally-friendly growth of our company.
Why carbon-neutral e-learning?
E-Learning is more cost-effective and environmentally friendly than face-to-face seminars, but above all, the the necessary IT infrastructure and data transmission technology requires significant amounts of energy – 24/7 on 365 days a year.
What makes our e-learning attractive to users is the high proportion of video content and interactive live online learning formats. But it is precisely these formats that are very data-intensive and therefore also energy-intensive. In addition to the reliability of the systems, energy efficiency also plays an important role in the selection of technologies and partners for our company.
The neokom.tv video and e-learning agency in figures
- more than 13,000 registered users and employees on our online learning portals and learning management systems that we operate for our customers.
- more than 3,400 learning hours and more than 1,000 learning assesments performed by our customers on our platforms in 2019.
- More than 1,120 hosted learning videos and web-based trainings, available 24/7 via our secure content delivery network on all end devices from smart TVs to smartphones.
- Live online seminars and webinars in HD quality with up to 1,000 participants at a time.
- 23 live-streaming events with over 75 hours of live online production time, over 150 hours of studio production time in Stuttgart in 2019.
- 96 terabytes of traffic in 2019.
Our activities in climate protection
- We use energy-efficient video technology (e.g. through permanently installed LED lighting in the video studio in Stuttgart and, if possible, no hmI and halogen headlamps in mobile productions).
- All our learning portals and learning management system (LMS) are operated 100% in a German data center with electricity from environmentally friendly hydropower and high energy efficiency.
- We compensate for the carbon emissions generated by the use of our video trainings, web-based trainings, live online seminars and webinars via the end devices of the users.
- Our learning videos and live video productions are hosted over a content delivery network and delivered to users, most of which are based on POPs (Points of Presence) that operate in data centers with climate-neutral energy supply. The main hub of data transmission for German users is Frankfurt am Main. We compensate for the carbon emissions generated by data transfers in other data centers and by internet service providers of customers.
- We are able to provide high-resolution mobile live streams via LTE mobile technology or satellite technology, but always prefer more energy-efficient wired transmission routes where possible.
- We prefer a CO2-neutral travel activity of our team (by rail) and compensate for the CO2 emissions from car and air travel.
An overview of our activities can be found here:
Our partners for climate protection
We are supported by the non-profit Foundation Plant-for-the-Planet in optimizing our measures and calculating the CO2 emissions generated by our video productions and IT infrastructure. Plant-for-the-Planet is planting trees on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico on our behalf. In this way, CO2 emissions are neutralized.
Why Mexico? And how does it work?
- The trees bind the emmusioned carbon dioxide through their growth in wood. Each tree stores approx. half a ton of carbon dioxide.
- Carbon dioxide is a global problem, so trees can be planted anywhere. In Mexico, better climate conditions for tree growth prevail, trees grow there faster than in Germany and bind around 25kg of carbon per year
- The survival rate of the trees is 94 percent.
- The wooed from the trees is used primarily for long-lived goods, e.g. furniture. That creates local jobs and binds CO2 in the long term.
An overview of the trees planted on our behalf can be found in our tree counter on TrillionTreeCampaign.com
(Note: Planted trees appear there with a time delay.)